Lip liner is to lipstick what primer is to foundation or a base coat is to nail polish - it's not crucial, but it does make your lipstick look better and last longer.
Applying lip liner correctly can be difficult but when done well it has several benefits:
- Prevents "feathering" of your lipstick
- Prevents colour bleeding of your lipstick
- Can increase the wear of your lipstick
- Will provide more definition to your lips
- Can enhance or hide lip features
TIPS for choosing and using Lip Liner
- Choose a lip liner that is either within the range of one shade lighter to one shade darker than your lip stick.
- It is not feasible that we have a lip liner to perfectly match every lip stick, so choose three basic colours that are versatile enough to cover a range. A sold base would be a red, a plum and a nude (for your lighter lip sticks).
- Although it is called a 'lip liner', it is actually more of a 'lip foundation' so once you have outlined your lips you need to fill in the whole lip area, then apply your lipstick. This will ensure your lip stick lasts longer.